Thursday, February 7, 2013

Junk In Junk Out!


      My last two posts concerning health and reaching your full potential dealt with the mind. Although I only scratched the surface of it, I feel it is time to move on to another area of importance.  Perhaps down the road we will touch more on the mind and positive thinking but let’s move on!  Hmmm …what do you think would be next in order of importance of taking care of yourself?  In my opinion, I believe next in line would be what we put into our bodies.

            To me, it is amazing that depending on what you eat or drink can affect your mood.  It took me a while to reach this point, but now when I eat a lot of junk food my body lets me know it.  Just the other day, I went out to eat and over did it eating at a buffet. Within just a short period, I felt tired and lethargic. Of course, this not only affected my energy level but also my mood.  I felt like I was just going through the motions of what I had to do for that day.  I am sure we all feel this way from time to time. Perhaps if not from unhealthy eating, then maybe when you are run down and sick? I am thankful that my body gives me these signs. It kind of like a check and balance system. Understanding your body and more importantly, LISTENING to your body will go a long way in how to improve your health.

                                               
                        Have you ever experienced the effects of driving a vehicle that has bad gas in the fuel tank?  Although it is the required fuel for your vehicle, it is bad fuel. Because of this bad fuel, your vehicle runs sluggish and may even stall on you.  Our bodies are the same way.  For the most part, whatever we eat or drink, our bodies will try to use it as fuel.  If it is healthy with nutrients, then your body will run stronger and longer. However if it is unhealthy, your body will run slower and with much shorter endurance. 

            So much to say in such short time! Stay tuned in and we will touch more on HEALTHY eating verse unhealthy eating!  Is this good medicine for you? It sure is for me! I know that this was no breakthrough post, but we all can use a reminder from time to time. Feel free to comment and share your experience. We all can LEARN from each other.         

5 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean Dan. Me and some co-workers hit up a really good pizza buffet for lunch last week and I felt like I was in a food coma for the rest of the day. I don't normally eat like that so I think my body rejects that kind of food when I do. My thought process at the time was eat like a pig and double up on cardio at the gym. Although, I ate so much it took me a few days to get in the gym to work it off! I like your comparison with treating our body like we would our car. I definitely need to start treating food like it's fuel for my body and not always please my taste buds. Anyway, good post. I really enjoyed it!

    Tommy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tommy! I think pizza buffets are the worst, but any buffet is hard on my body. I tend to want to get my moneys worth and over eat. What's worse is that I don't take my time eating so my body does not have a chance! Before my body can tell me to slow down, it is too late. I guess that is why it is recommended to eat slow. It allows time for your mind to communicate with the rest of your body. A while back, I learned that before you go out to eat you should drink at least one glass of water. This allows you to feel a little more full and you eat less.

      Delete
  2. I must agree that eating things that if you eat something bad your body lets you know. I am not an advocate of fast food, but I eat it from time to time. When I do I end up feeling horrible. Eating too much can also be a problem. Not only do you feel tired, but you often feel uncomfortable too. For me, walking around usually helps a bit. I'm sure you've heard the term, "you are what you eat." Eat good and feel energized, eat bad and feel sluggish.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree Emily. There's nothing worse than eating an unhealthy meal and trying to "rally" at work when you would rather pass out from the food coma. I try to avoid the heavy carbs and also avoid pop to cut calories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you stress how important listening to your body is for good healthy!

    ReplyDelete