Friday, February 15, 2013

Junk In Junk Out (Part Two)

            Last post we introduced importance #2 of reaching your full potential; what we put in our body. Let’s continue this topic by looking at some characteristics of unhealthy and healthy consumptions. First let’s take a look at the unhealthy side.

            For you calorie counting people out there (yes I am one too), just because you fell under your daily calorie goal does not necessarily mean it was successful. Let me explain. I use an application on my phone to record what I eat to help keep me accountable of my food and drink intake. I highly encourage some sort of accountability program (whether electronically or the paper method) because it really makes you aware of what and how much you put in your body. It is a good idea even for those of you that do not need to lose weight and want to focus on a healthier lifestyle. It is a great accomplishment staying under the calorie goal for the day; but what if half of what I ate was a donut, fast food, ice cream, and the majority of the fluids I drank were soda pops?  Then as I mentioned in my last post; there is a good chance I may feel sluggish. Although my energy level may spike momentarily; rest assured it will not last long.
 
                     

            But I stayed under my calorie goal for the day! I did do that but most of what I put in my body was simple carbohydrates (simple sugars). In my last post I mentioned that your body breaks down what you put in it and converts it to energy. Simple carbohydrates are easily broken down and quickly absorbed by your body but that energy does not last long. That is why when you eat a high sugary food or drink a large quantity of a sugary drink, you may feel peppy right away and then not long after you want to take a nap. In addition to the high sugar intake; where was the nutrition? Any protein? Any vitamins? Any minerals? These are essential for your body.  Some simple carbs do have additional nutrients in them but others do not. Check out the chart below that I got off the okloseweight.co.uk website:

                                              
                You can see our bodies do need simple carbs but the sources of the simple carbs are important.  Let’s be realistic here! Unless you are from another planet (even then I have my doubts) you will at times crave those sugary foods of little or no value.  At times you will break down and have them (I did today).  The key is not to give in every time you have those cravings; and eat more of the foods that have nutrients in them. Again, recording what you eat will aid in helping you keep track. So what do you think? Any comments? We are all here to learn from one another! Next post … COMPLEX CARBOHYDRATES…STAY TUNED!

7 comments:

  1. Keeping track of your calorie intake can be beneficial. I AM NOT a calorie counter. After many years of cutting weight in judo I refuse. I try to eat less and make the right choices. A few years back I wanted to know on average how many calories I consume. My fitness pal (iPad ap) really helped me out. You can load in your food and your exercise. I am amazed at how many aps there are available for phones and iPads. Eating the right foods is also important, but this really does take dedication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tons of apps ...lots of tools ...no excuses in today's era :) I too am familiar with "My Fitness Pal". I like the app also. I like the scanner portion of the application. No matter what technique you use; it will be awkward at first but easier as you get into a routine.

      Delete
  2. I also don't count calories/carbs/protein/ or fats. I lead a healthy lifestyle, and it's been an evolutionary path for me. I grew up eating somewhat healthy insofar that I would have a full dose of nutrients thanks to my doctor mother, however I also over indulged eating sugary, empty calories. By the time I turned 17 I reached a weight of 310lbs. Though by all blood metrics I was healthy, my weight, clothes, and self confidence had a wake up call. At first I lost some weight following the Atkins diet, after the initial weight loss, exercise. At my 18th birthday I was at 210lbs and in the best shape of my life, but the fact was, I didn't need a diet, I needed a lifestyle change.
    Here I am 10 years later, and I've learned a couple of things. First, diets work momentarily, what's needed is a thinking change, this is where those apps come in handy, they really open your eyes to all the little nibbles, and snacks one eats through the day. Second, we essentially already know what's good and what's bad, the idea is eat what you think you're supposed to, and don't what doesn't seem appropriate. Again, keeping track using apps is a great aid when one is starting up, we have grown so accustomed to eating all these readily available empty things, that we sometimes don't even pay attention. When using these apps, it makes us more conscious simply because we are being held accountable by a little machine, you likely have by your side at all times of the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carlos thanks for sharing! That is how we learn; people sharing their own life experiences. Although diets do give you a plan to jump start a healthier lifestyle; it will be short term unless you alter your way of living. Just like in today's era the focus in on "core" exercising and you don't here so much about abdominal exercises; there is less emphasis on dieting and more emphasis on a lifestyle change.

      Delete
  3. Unlike most americans out there... I am one whom is trying to increase calorie intake healthily. I have a really fast metabolism, and would like to know what are some good ways to increase the number of calories without wreaking havoc to my heart. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lil,
    Thanks for your question. Sorry it has taken a couple days to reply. I am not a nutritionist but I can tell you from experience that when I was younger I was in the same boat. I worked out like crazy but was not gaining much wait. First off just like losing weight; I believe it is better to gain slowly to ensure it is the right type of gain. For starters try increasing your protein intake. Be sure to increase your water intake to help your body breakdown the protein and avoid protein build up in the kidneys. Keep in touch and let me know if this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting points! It's not just the number of calories, but the what kind of calories you are eating.

    ReplyDelete